Friday, September 4, 2009

A small gesture....


...means so much.

Last night around 8:00 our doorbell rang. As usual I let The Accountant handle any strangers coming to our door, especially the back door.

It was a curly haired, slightly accented young man. He told The Accountant he and 12 other artists were trying to raise money and awareness of their up and coming art gallery. While talking he proceeded to show him a portfolio full of oil paintings and continued telling their story.

To my amazement, The Accountant called me to the door and asked if I liked any of the artwork. Personally, I was in shock that he would even think of buying something presented this way and even more so since this past year has been a little more frugal than those of years past.

My eyes came upon this painting of Paris and it kind of jumped out at me. I am a big fan of black and white, so it's appeal with the gradients of the two colors intrigued me. I also like to collect art as it inspires me and reminds me of how blessed we are to be able to both create and enjoy such God given talents.

But, honestly the biggest joy was the kindness and love in The Accountant's actions of simply purchacing this for me. It wasn't his usual well thought out decision that took months to calculate, it was a decision based on his question to me, "Do you like it?"

My simple "yes" was all it took, we wrote a check to this young man who may or may not be opening a gallery in Naperville and became the new owners of an oil painting.

This small gesture means the world to me because The Accountant did something based purely on emotion and love, something to simply make me smile a little more everyday as I look at the scene in Paris.

Thanks my "Bean Counter"

5 comments:

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

That's our kind of accountant!!!It's a beautiful painting and we are sure it will be a daily reminder of how much he loves you...enjoy it!!

NicNacManiac said...

Nice....he loves you!!
Great piece by the way!!
Enjoy your weekend!!
xOxO Nerina

Free Art Printables said...

I would've bought it too! What a great painting.What a lovely man.... hey, coffee sometime?

Unknown said...

Well yipeeee hubby!!!!!! You deserve a little something special my sweet friend!

:) T

texcinlulu said...

What a sweet story!
Thanks for sharing.
The pictue is great too.
My daughter is going to Paris next summer. We're so excited.
Cindy
p.s.
I have an accountant/bean counter too.