Thursday, March 19, 2009

Oh I love a challenge....


This year Hannah makes her First Communion. Last year Mac made his and we had a combined party with our neighbors son, who made his at the same time.

Now, I am not sure if this is sacrilegious, but we partnered the party with the Kentucky Derby. The two events just happened to be on the same day. So, after Mass we had our friends and relatives join us back at our home to celebrate the Sacrament and then to watch the Derby. It was a great time and everything went off as planned.

We are fortunate to have the same First Communion date again this year and we will be hosting the party along with my Brother's daughter Mary Grace.

Can I just say... there is a big difference between planning a party for your Son and planning one for your Daughter. Not to say that I didn't put my heart and soul into the party last year, but I find I am taking some extra steps for my little girl.

For brevity of this post, my focus is what Hannah will be wearing. It is March and I am already in planning mode. First things first... I began searching the web and stores for the perfect dress, I have my heart set on a somewhat plain cotton dress with vintage overtones.


I found an adorable dress at Eden's Bouquet and desire it more than you know...but The Accountant has put a limit on my dress budget. I fully understand that she will wear it only once.... but......Oh I know... I can't do it to his poor heart.

I figured there was no way to get exactly what was in my head so ... I have to make it myself. YIKES


I started collecting vintage cotton lace and searching for the perfect material. It had to have the right amount of softness and light texture. I considered using some vintage Irish linen that I had but I couldn't get it to lay the way I wanted to.



Then it happened, while helping my mom look for fabric at JoAnns today, I found the most adorable white/creme, cotton, crocheted/embroidered, fabric. It took my breathe away and I couldn't put it down.


Again, I am not sure if creme is appropriate for First Communion, but I decided it is exactly what we wanted and that God would forgive me on this one (I pray).



I had picked out a pattern but need to adjust it more to my liking, but for the most part I think it's a go. I have never made a dress before, only made costumes for Halloween. My Mom, thankfully, has sewn her whole life and is pretty darn good at it. She will be my guide and conscience as I proceed.




I have my dear Aunt Nonie's old Kenmore sewing machine ready and waiting. She passed away a few years ago but for some reason I know she is always with us. She would have loved to help out with this project, it was a passion she and my Mom shared.

I promise to share my progress on this one and I also promise to share in the details of the party as it draws closer to the date. You can share in my insanity...which I have to say I totally enjoy.

I started making the invites and should have those done once I find more flowers...Hobby Lobby ran out of them...arrrhhhhhhhh.






The other details include,floral arrangements for the house...trying to keep with the Rose theme for this one. Attire, ladies are required to wear hats, menu planning, and ...I say this quietly...."friendly wagering". (we are not gamblers by any stretch of the imagination but last year we found a few ways to get people engaged.

So, as this party EVOLVES, I will share my stories with you. I will also share the ideas I have for my Easter Dinner...having that on the Saturday night before Easter because, John's family comes in from Indiana and it makes things a little easier for them.

That's happening here...what's happening for you???

5 comments:

amariaf2000 said...

Oh, what beautiful fabric & pattern!! I'm sure this will be very beautiful on your daughter's special day!
~angela @ peonypatch

Anonymous said...

The fabric for this Communion Dress is fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Bravo! It will be beautiful and meaningful that YOU made it for her. It will turn out just fabulous, be sure to post photos!

The Pennington Point said...

Ooh, I hope you post a picture of the finished dress! Lisa~

Anne Marie said...

OKAY- take a look at my post "easter sewing" because it's the SAME PATTERN YOU CHOSE!!

how funny!!

I first sewed the white one for her First Holy Communion and then cut it down to make the itty bitty one for my cutie pie :)