Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Tuesday was much more fun...

Today Shea and I headed out with my good friend Mary, to Redbud Creek Farm in Sheridan, Illinois. This place is so deeply hidden in the countryside, it presents itself as a magic oasis for us nutty gardeners. Seeing that this is so early in the season, not everything was in full bloom and you could just tell there was so much more waiting to emerge in the coming months. There also seemed to be a shortage of their usual unique mixture of plantings. We soon found out that this past weekend anxious spring shoppers cleaned them out and they were waiting on new deliveries...Thursday. (No recession here) I just love ponds and would love to have one in my yard, The Accountant is not so keen on the idea. But, if I had one I would want it to look like this. You never know...one day I could just start digging myself a hole. They also had this adorable Bird House for sale, I had to put it on my wish list for now as it was a little over budget. Hopefully one day it will come to roost in Sugar Grove. I managed to pick up some great new plantings and have started moving everything around in my yard to make way for them. My arms are officially sunburned with my first farmer's tan of the season. While spending time outside today the kids took some time to investigate our own little pond in the empty lot next to us. What they found was nothing short of amazing. Thousands upon thousands of tadpoles, millions of funny looking pond snails, leeches and I believe pond plankton. I took a sampling indoors for further observation. I took this little video of a jar we filled with the found pond life. Please notice at the end of the video the mass of pond snails near the top of the water line.... hummmm wonder what they are up to?? (snicker)

I have to say, the tadpoles swimming around is quite comical as well. Just reminds me of our fertility treatments...
By the way, please excuse my children in the background...tried to get rid of that little outburst!
Have a wonderful Wednesday! I am off to help my neighbor arrange some artwork we found on Etsy. Stay tuned !!!!

3 comments:

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

What a beautiful place. I'm glad they have been busy...someone needs to keep the economy going!!!!LOL!!!
I would love to have a pond too! You try it first and let me know how it goes...Marcela

Sheila Rumney said...

What a lovely place... got a chuckle from your tadpoles!

Have a great week!

Jeanne Oliver said...

That place looks amazing! I don't know where that is. My parents live 30 minutes from Rockford..near Dixon.