Tuesday, June 23, 2009

From too cold to too hot...

....Chicago summers never cease to amaze me. Not just last week we were wondering when it was ever going to warm up. Well, that answer has arrived.

Can you say HOT...

Thanks to the kindness of my neighbors, the kids have been swimming everyday.

My latest project brings me to my front porch. I started last week and find myself stuck in the middle of it. Can I just tell you, I love power tools.

I sanded the southern yellow pine down and started applying the marine varnish...one coat on and now I can't do a thing. Either it's too hot to apply the varnish or the rain makes it too wet.
Not sure where to go with this one but I have to put the furniture back because it looks so naked and that is not my style. So, in order to pass the time, shopping for the look will help.

I picked this up on Etsy at Apron Strings and Quirky Things.

This adorable pillow from Flax and Spindle.
I am going for the patriotic theme so there will be flower arranging today...
in my nice cold basement.
I know the minute I get everything back in place with a new design, the weather will cool off and I will be able to add the next two coats? Whats a women to do.

Keep cool...

10 comments:

Tanya said...

I love the way your porch is looking. It will be worth the effort. I have several projects outside and it's pretty brutal right now. I need to do a little weeding but I really have to wait until early evening so that I don't get heatstroke!

Anonymous said...

Janet,
You have a beautiful blog. I am going to have to come back and read it again...just so inspirational!

I, too, am a Freshman Bella, and I hope i will meet you in person! I am pre-blog and pre-etsy but working on the second. I do have a facebook site. It has some of the jewelry my daughter and I do together.

Thanks for my daily dose of "beautiful." I love Nell Hill's. I have relatives in KC and we always go there.

Suz (Susan Reaney)

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

Janet, you have 2 things that I would love to have: a basement (not really needed here in CA but how cool are they?) and a porch. Will never understand why in SO Cal where there is no bugs and the weather is almost perfect most of the year, the houses have NO PORCHES!!!!
Anyway, you are tackling a big project. I'm sending you all the energy you need to finish it!
Marcela

Tara said...

Oh try to stay cool there in Chicago!! That is a huge project you are tackling, thank goodness for the neighbors swimming pool! Stay cool~

Jan said...

I love that pillow. Love it so much. Great job on the porch and hot hot hot...

tracey said...

Hi! What a beautiful porch you have!! But, yes, way too hot to be sanding and varnishing this week. And I do love that pillow:)
T

Ms. Tee said...

Hi Janet
What a big undertaking! Your porch is awesome. I'd love to sit out there with you and sip some tea~ :)

farmhouse wares said...

Oh! I just sanded my deck down. I think it's interesting that you're using marine varnish. Good idea.

Jeanne Oliver said...

What a huge project! It is coming along beautifully!

Dawn-Hydrangea Home said...

Good luck with your project. I just found you through Victoria's blog. I see you went to the Country Living event. I couldn't make it this year but I went last year and loved it! Very inspiring. Stay cool! And have a great day.